After a brief scheduling stumble, StreetPX is back to feature Dave Christensen, director of the esteemed Harvey Milk Photo Center in San Francisco.
Hailing from Wisconsin, Dave started his career wielding a back-breaking large format Deardorff. Specializing in commercial and fashion photography from Madison to Chicago to San Francisco, he has captured imagery of Christy Turlington and Kelly Lynch and worked with clients such as Spiegal, Marshal Fields and Levi Strauss.
Later in San Francisco, he began a new direction, volunteering and eventually taking over as Director for the esteemed Harvey Milk Photo Center. One of the largest darkrooms in the US and soon to celebrate it’s 75th anniversary in operation. Boasting over 40 classes a term and hosting up to 15 varied photographic events year around, you would be hard pressed to find a day when HMPC does not have an amazing exhibit on display in their ~1000sqft space or a class underway somewhere in the city.
It should be said, the HMPC was also the home of our last exhibit, “eXposed“, as well as the main venue for the Streetfoto International Street Photography Festival. So you can imagine our excitement to get this interview underway.
It’s a wonderful life’s story and an inspiration for creatives everywhere.
This episode brought to you by Glass Key Photo in San Francisco – Get your analog gear, film, repairs and more at 442 Haight Street from now till the end of the month. Starting August 1st, you’ll find them at their new location at 1230 Sutter Street, just off Van Ness Avenue in mid-town San Francisco.
Dave Christensen Teaser Gallery
- Harvey Milk Photo Center
- Gallery Lighting Project – donate to help bring better lighting to future exhibits
- Bruce Weber
- Imogen Cunningham
- Ruth Burnhard
- Fred Lyon – Photo Book “Noir”
- Jay Blakesberg
- Bruce Gilden
- Judy Dater
- Janet Delaney
Events to Watch Out For
- Dark+Light 40yr Retrospective – Nov 9 Opening Reception
- HMPC Annual Exhibit – Members, Staff and Volunteers – Aug 11 Opening Reception
Film Week Announced! September 18th – 24th
- Including: Photo Walks, Film Centric Show and More
Sharing how they got to where they are and why they chose to do what they do.
Latest posts by SPX Crew (see all)
- Turning the Camera on Yourself with Photographer Najib Joe Hakim - December 1, 2017
- EP52 – It Takes a Village with Street Photographer Michelle Groskopf - November 17, 2017
- “Holy F**k, this is like a Warzone” w/ Vegas Photojournalist Chase Stevens - November 3, 2017