Mike Kirschner began his creative path photographing the iconic musical artists’ of San Francisco’s psychedelic rock scene. As a result, from the mid-80s and the late-90s, he experienced the thrill of documenting such legends as The Grateful Dead and members of Quicksilver Messenger Service, Jefferson Airplane and more.
Eventually, Mike discovered the thrill of street photography and later, took the reigns of the San Francisco Street Photography Group on Facebook. Since 2013, he has managed to grow its ranks to nearly 4000 members, establishing a thriving and robust community of talented photographers, including our very own SPX team… and during this past winter, he was instrumental in bringing to life the group’s first high profile exhibition, title “eXposed“, at the Harvey Milk Photo Center.
Tune in today and enjoy this fantastic conversation with our good friend, Mike Kirschner!
FEEDBACK FUN: This show was a blast and full of laughs. If you have any questions or would like to send us any feedback (we LOVE feedback), then email us at email@example.com, or visit our Contact Page for a quick share.
SPONSOR SHOUT: This episode brought to you by Glass Key Photo. San Francisco’s go-to store for all things film. Ranging from cameras and repairs, 35mm, medium format, developing and printing supplies, photo paper and much more. If it’s analog photography you want, Glass Key has what you need. Much thanks to Gordon and Matt over in Haight Street. Help us help them with a visit to their shop at “442 Haight Street, SF” the next time you visit the area.
FEED THE CREW: If you’re digging our show and would like to help fund our little endeavor here, head over to Patreon Support and throw us a few bucks each month. Think of it as a voluntary subscription with great perks; like bonus content, SPX theme song ringtone, even a free t-shirt for the upper tier contributors. Above all, every penny we receive goes to maintaining and upgrading our studio, keeping our hosting subscriptions live, excuses for our family when we disappear for hours at a time and much more.
Mike Kirschner Street Photography Instagram Feed
Mike Kirschner Links
- Mike Kirschner Street Photography
- Mike Kirschner Music Photography
- Frankenstein Pentax
- “Long Strange Trip” – Martin Scorsese Documentary
- San Francisco Street Photography Group
- Grateful Dead
- Country Joe and the Fish
- Quick Silver Messenger Service
- Big Brother and the Holding Company
- Captain Beefheart
- Dorothea Lange
- Rian Dundon
- Roza Vulf
- Dorothea Lange – Politics of Seeing Exhibit (Oakland, CA)
- Beale Street Music Festival (Memphis TN)
- Hardly Strictly Bluegrass (Golden Gate Park, San Francisco)
Sharing how they got to where they are and why they chose to do what they do.
Latest posts by SPX Crew (see all)
- We Are Not Impervious to Hardship – with Documentarian Brenton Gieser - January 12, 2018
- Life is a Full Spectrum Journey with Photographer Jock McDonald - December 29, 2017
- Using Photography as a Tool for Change – Interview with Steve Disenhof - December 15, 2017